Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: how can i parse the nmap's xml output with java

From: David Warde-Farley <david.warde.farley () utoronto ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:19:47 -0400

On 28-Jul-06, at 2:05 PM, oscar miranda wrote:

my problem is that i want to recover almost all the information as
i can
from the nmap's xml file output and this has to be with a java
parser, i
read  that it can be done with SAX parser in java, but i would like
to have
a look into the source to know how to parse the file i refer to. i
will
apreciate all opinions you send to me, thanks.

So, the most complete description of the XML format that Nmap uses is
going to be in its DTD:

http://insecure.org/nmap/data/nmap.dtd

It's not too hard to figure out just by reading it what stuff is/
means, but a tutorial on DTDs can be found at http://
www.w3schools.com/dtd/default.asp .

You can parse it with whatever you like, but you're going to need to
settle on which parser. http://www.saxproject.org/links.html has a
list of SAX parsers.

Regards,

David