Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap 4.11 + OpenBSD Kernel PPPOE = strange error

From: kx <kxmail () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:05:01 -0400

Honestly, no.

Quote F:

"So I think I'll wait on this until we see more reports and are
able to get a better idea what is going on. But in the meantime, it
is good that people who are annoyed by the issue can apply your patch
(hopefully after they have reported it though!)

Cheers,
-F"

As for, why does -sT work and not -sS?

-sT results in a connect() call, which lets the kernel construct and
route the packet, whereas -sS uses nmap code to construct and route
the packet.

If you would, could you at least report this:

go to  collect_dnet_routes() in tcpip.cc and add some print statements
like this:

/* Now determine which interface the route relates to */
  u32 mask;
  struct sockaddr_in *sin;
  char buf[32];
  for(i = 0; i < dcrn->numifaces; i++) {
    sin = (struct sockaddr_in *) &dcrn->ifaces[i].addr;
    mask = htonl((unsigned long) (0-1) << (32 - dcrn->ifaces[i].netmask_bits));
printf("iface     : %s\n", &dcrn->ifaces[i].devname);
inet_ntop(AF_INET, &sin->sin_addr, buf, sizeof(buf));
printf("iface addr: %s \n", buf);
printf("gw    addr: %s \n", addr_ntoa(&entry->route_gw));
inet_ntop(AF_INET, &mask, buf, sizeof(buf));
printf("mask  addr: %s \n\n", buf);
    if ((sin->sin_addr.s_addr & mask) == (entry->route_gw.addr_ip & mask)) {
      dcrn->routes[dcrn->numroutes].device = &dcrn->ifaces[i];
      break;
    }
  }

Thanks,