Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: More Service Detection Notes (Skype)

From: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:46:39 +0000

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 00:25 -0700, doug () hcsw org wrote:
...snip...

What do you think about an addition to the nmap-service-probes
format that requires multiple match lines having to be triggered
in order to report a result? Specifically, do you (or anyone else) see
anything wrong with the following:

Probe TCP GenericLines q|\r\n\r\n|
match &skype2 m|(.*[^\0-\x04\s!-~]){10}|s p/Skype v2/
Probe TCP GetRequest q|GET / HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n|
match &skype2 m|^HTTP/1\.0 404 Not Found\r\n\r\n$| p/Skype v2/

where the '&'s preceding the service names mean that all such match lines
need to match in order to trigger a match?

Doug

Syntactically this is a very simple and elegant way to describe more
than one pattern must match.  The only thing I dislike about it is that
the constituent matching patterns could potentially be separated from
each other by many lines.

Everything that comes to my mind right now is overly complicated. Unless
there's a better idea, &servicename sounds to me like the way to go.

Brandon