Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.20ALPHA1 - New OS Detection System!

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:26:51 -0700

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 03:16:58AM +0000, Brandon Enright wrote:
I can't wait to get started testing this.  The code built cleanly but
I'm getting:

./nmap -O 192.168.0.1
OS scan requested but I cannot find nmap-os-db file.  It should be
in /usr/local/share/nmap, ~/.nmap/ or .
QUITTING!

I've looked but I can't find the file either.

Oops!  Like I said, it didn't get much pre-release testing :).  Expect
4.20Alpha2 within the next 15 minutes.  Thanks for the report!

Since I'm sure the db file will be evolving rapidly and doing a new
release every time a few signatures are added will be tedious, perhaps
you can make the latest db available online somewhere for us to grab as
it gets updated.

Good idea.  I just placed it at
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/data/nmap-os-db .  You can just add that
to your nmap data dir rather than installing ALPHA2 if you already
have ALPHA1.

Cheers,
-F