Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: SYN Scan values - article

From: Martin Mačok <martin.macok () underground cz>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:52:30 +0200

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:11:24PM -0400, kx wrote:

Set the DF bit.

This raises a possibility that SYN packet will not get through,
doesn't it?

Set the TTL to 64 or 128 or vary by OS

This way we could reveal the distance of the scanner from the target.
No big deal, though...

Also, another thing I was wondering about, is what does our RST
signature look like compared to real OSes?

Nmap doesn't generate RST by itself but (generally) it is being
generated by the OS the scanner is running on (as a response to
unsolicited SYN+ACK packets coming back from the target). Hence, the
RST should match the real OS the scanner is running on.

I am just trying to think of ways to make our SYN scans stick out
less to potential IDS rules. Curious on your thoughts.

Well, I think that we would still match from a behavior point of view
(too many SYNs to different ports over short time period).

Martin Mačok
ICT Security Consultant