Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Version scanning problem with "--version-intensity 0"

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 16:43:22 -0700

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 06:58:15PM -0700, doug () hcsw org wrote:
I have confirmed this problem and I'm attaching a possible patch for 4.04BETA1.
The problem, as you mentioned, is that with really low version intensity levels
it is possible that no probes will be applied against UDP ports which isn't
being handled properly by the code. Since I added the version intensity system
I take full responsibility for this bug. :)

Thanks, Doug (and Makoto)!  I have applied the patch for the next
version of Nmap (due very soon).

o Fixed a bug in service detection which could lead to a crash when
  "--version-intensity 0" was used with a UDP scan.  Thanks to Makoto
  Shiotsuki (shio(a)st.rim.or.jp) for reporting the problem and Doug
  Hoyte for producing a patch.

Cheers,
-F