Nmap Development mailing list archives

Verbose port output when scanning with different TCP and UDP port specs

From: Roel Schouten <rs () fortconsult net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 08:55:33 +0200

Hello,

When performing a scan with nmap using both the TCP and UDP port
specification, the port output of nmap is verbose when the target host
does not reply actively on closed ports.
If the number of TCP ports specified is higher than the number UDP ports,
a verbose list of filtered UDP ports will be shown in the output.
If the number of UDP ports specified is higher than the number TCP ports,
a verbose list of filtered TCP ports will be shown in the output.

Splitting the scan up in both a UDP and TCP scan, does not show the
verbose results.

nmap -sS -sU -p T:1-65535,U:1-1024 <target ip>  - will show a verbose list
of all UDP ports that time out ("filtered")
 (note: the host I scanned does not reply actively with ICMP port
unreachables on closed UDP ports)

nmap -sS -sU -p T:1-1024,U:1-2000 <target ip>  - will show a verbose list
of all TCP ports that time out ("filtered")
 (note: the host I scanned does not reply with RST on closed TCP ports)

nmap -sS -p 1-65535 <target ip>  and  nmap -sU -p 1-1024 <target ip> -
only short list is shown for each scan

Nmap version: 4.03
OS: Ubuntu 6.06
Kernel: 2.6.15-23