Nmap Development mailing list archives

Fwd: One Last Requirements Doc: Hosted Scanner

From: Diman Todorov <diman () xover mud at>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 17:24:41 +0200

sorry david :)

Begin forwarded message:

From: Diman Todorov <diman () xover mud at>
Date: May 23, 2006 4:27:07 PM GMT+02:00
To: "Jones, David H" <Jones.David.H () principal com>
Subject: Re: One Last Requirements Doc: Hosted Scanner

On May 23, 2006, at 4:16 PM, Jones, David H wrote:

"You have a bit of latitude in selecting the language for this
system.
Perl, Python, or C would be good choices. PHP is probably not OK."

Just wondering what you have against PHP... :)

I dont know about PHP but I am certain C is a bad choice.
Web applications are 90% string parsing and unparsing.
C's support for string handling is only very rudimentary.
The remaining 10% are database connectivity. At least in
my experience this is a lot more convenient if you don't
have to think about memory management. The performance
gain which potentially comes with C is usually not an
issue in web applications.

In case the choice of language is undecided I think
Python with Zope or Ruby with Ruby on rails have potential.

As far as PHP is concerned, I can't think of a reason which speaks
against python but doesn't speak against Perl. Maybe I am missing
something?

cheers
Diman