Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re:SoC Feature Creeper and Performance Czar Tasks(Fyodor)

From: Ramy <bootuikey () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 16:38:32 +0800

You wrote:
Fix UDP scan such that it doesn't find its own port open when
 scanning localhost (try nmap -sU -p- localhost).
But I tried "nmap -sU -p- localhost" on my Redhat Linux FC3,it work as
follow:

Starting Nmap 4.03 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-05-16 10:11 CST
Interesting ports on buaa (192.168.1.3):
(The 65528 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT      STATE         SERVICE
111/udp   open|filtered  rpcbind
631/udp   open|filtered  unknown
752/udp   open|filtered  qrh
5353/udp  open|filtered  unknown
10000/udp open            unknown
32768/udp open|filtered omad
52163/udp open            unknown
Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 6.962 seconds

Then I tried it on Windows 2K,it work as follow:

skipping UDP Scan against 192.168.1.3 because Windows does not support
scanning your own machine(localhost) this way.

So do you mean the -sU parameter couldn't use in Windows boxes? Then I build
a simple test app using Microsoft's own socket API(winsock) to scan
localhost. My app sends a PDU packet to a port of localhost,then my Ethereal
captures ICMP packet from that port(winsock can't capture ICMP,so I use
Ethereal),and I need more experiments about it.Once I prove that the ICMP
WinPcap to implement the function of scan localhost in windows version of
nmap.
I am just a nmap newbie here,and eager for some advice,Thanks in advance:)

Cheers,
zhou qiang