Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Fyodor, I would like to have your point of vue on SinFP tool

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 17:41:56 -0700

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 05:32:49PM +0200, GomoR wrote:
First, if you feel this message has nothing to do here, I understand. Feel
free to redirect to /dev/null.

No, I think it is entirely appropriate here.  Thanks for posting, even
though I was already familiar with SinFP.  I took a look at it in
March while Zhao Lei and I were working on a 2nd generation
fingerprinting system for Nmap.  It is a great little tool, though I
dispute the web page statement that Nmap's "approach to OS
fingerprinting is becoming to be obsolete" due to "stateful filtering
devices, PAT/NAT configurations and emerging packet normalization
technologies".  I agree that those obstacles can be a challenge, but
Nmap is pretty resilient to most of this.  It has to be, given that
people use it across just about every sort of network available.  But
I hope the new system will be even more powerful.  I hope to release a
paper very soon to nmap-dev documenting that upcoming system.  We
would of course appreciate your input.

Cheers,
-F