Nmap Development mailing list archives

Google SoC proposal: Ntrace

From: "Arthur Vincent V. Amarra" <arthur_amarra () yahoo co uk>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 19:24:20 +0100

Hi all, this is just to give a quick summary on what I proposed for
the SoC, submitted yesterday.

My proposal is to create a traceroute program called Ntrace. Ntrace
should be able to perform both ICMP and TCP traceroutes, and output
both in standard and XML formats.

What makes Ntrace unique is that it will be designed expressly to work
with Nmap, it is planned that Ntrace should be able to read Nmap's XML
output and trace routes to the targets based on the ports most likely
to return probes. It should also be able to output host lists for Nmap
to scan later on, for example, checking the security of a router one
hop before a target would be useful for penetration testing.

And, in the long run, new Nmap front ends could utilize this close
functionality between Nmap and Ntrace, and act as a wrapper for the
two programs to act in unison. This would make it possible for the
front end to actually generate a graphical map of the network, and the
possibilities are numerous. I have thrown together a simulated
screenshot(attached) of what this could look like, but it could (and
should, given my extremely limited graphics skills) look better than that.

I might be thinking too far ahead on this, but I just wanted to share
my vision. Comments and constructive criticism is welcome. More
details can be found on http://rootshell.be/~arthurv.

regards,
Arthur V. Amarra