Nmap Development mailing list archives

NMap bug report

From: "Todor Tzvetkov" <todor () mailshack com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:28:59 +0200

Hello

I'm very pleased with NMap. It's one of the best, if not the best port scanning and host discovery software ever
written, so i want to contribute by reporting a bug i found recently while port scanning.

I am a programmer myself, and i'm quite familiar with the WinPCap library, as i have used it myself for a packet
forwarding software of mine...

The following command generates a bug:

nmap 10.21.7.1-254 -S 10.21.7.2 -e eth0 -P0 -sS

OS: Windows XP
NMap Version: 4.01
My real IP: 10.21.7.56

I suppose the problem is that you can't portscan your own IP using a TCP SYN scan (-sS). When i try nmap 10.21.7.56
-sS, the program gives me an error saying that i can't do that. But when i spoof my IP (-S 10.21.7.2 -e eth0 -P0), the
program allows me to do a -sS scan of all 10.21.7.1-254 IPs, and it crashes (restarts) my whole computer when the
scanning reaches my IP address (10.21.7.56)...i think this is an inevitable scenario, but i though reporting this could
be useful...

Thank you