Nmap Development mailing list archives

Newb - MacOS X 10.4 nmap 4.01

From: "Adam Yie" <everial () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 11:48:00 -0500

First, I apologize if this issues has been addressed earlier, I do not
intend to spam or repeat earlier issues.

Running OS X 10.4, fully updated, Developer Tools installed (as per
instructions on insecure.org).

While running ./configure, I recieve the following message:

<...>
checking net/if.h usability... no
checking net/if.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: net/if.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: net/if.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: net/if.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: net/if.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: net/if.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: net/if.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to the AC_PACKAGE_NAME lists.  ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------ ##
<...>

I also receive a message in a similar format regarding net/if_arp.h,
net/route.h, netinet/in_var.h, netinet/ip_fw.h, and net/if.h. Despite
these messages, the process finishes and the dragon appears.

If I then make I receive the following:

<...>
ranlib libpcre.a
Compiling libdnet
Making all in include
make  all-recursive
Making all in dnet
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in src
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link --tag=CC gcc  -g -O2 -Wall   -o
libdnet.la -rpath /usr/local/lib -version-info 1:0:0 addr-util.lo
addr.lo blob.lo ip-util.lo ip6.lo rand.lo arp-bsd.lo eth-bsd.lo
fw-none.lo intf.lo ip.lo route-bsd.lo tun-none.lo
gcc -dynamiclib -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -o
.libs/libdnet.1.0.0.dylib  .libs/addr-util.o .libs/addr.o .libs/blob.o
.libs/ip-util.o .libs/ip6.o .libs/rand.o .libs/arp-bsd.o
.libs/eth-bsd.o .libs/fw-none.o .libs/intf.o .libs/ip.o
.libs/route-bsd.o .libs/tun-none.o  -install_name
/usr/local/lib/libdnet.1.dylib -compatibility_version 2
-current_version 2.0
/usr/bin/libtool: for architecture: cputype (16777234) cpusubtype (0)
file: -lSystem is not an object file (not allowed in a library)
make[2]: *** [libdnet.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [libdnet-stripped/src/.libs/libdnet.a] Error 2

I saw the post from mtmadruga regarding a similar error while
compiling nmap 4.00 on a Solaris machine and the suggested answer from
doug_at_hcsw:

It most likely means that ./configure wasn't able to find
your ar. On solaris, I seem to recall that it's often located
here:

/usr/ccs/bin/ar

Try putting /usr/ccs/bin/ in your path and re ./configure ; make

Regarding this reply, what is an ar? Furthermore, would these errors
be connected to the messaged received while running ./configure?
Generally, what can/should I do?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-yie