Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: max-scan-delay not honored?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:44:29 -0800

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 07:38:25PM +0100, Filippo Solinas wrote:

Hi *,

having spent some time playing with the timing & performance
options in Nmap 4.01, I then realized that --max-scan-delay
seems not work as expected. Or maybe I'm missing something.

In the following example, max-scan-delay is set to 100 ms,
but it's never honored, as the delta between probes can put
in evidence:

-x-

# nmap -P0 -sS -vv --packet-trace -p 0-4,80,81-85 -r --max-parallelism 1 --max-scan-delay 100 --max-retries 0
X.Y.Z.100

Here you have told Nmap to send only one probe at a time
(--max-scan-delay 100).  So it needs to wait for each to finish before
it starts the next one.  Otherwise it would be violating your
parallelism restriction (the way Nmap interprets --max-parallelism).
So if you want it to scan faster, you need to decrease the max
round-trip-time (so Nmap doesn't wait as long to finish each probe) or
increase the number of probes allowed in parallel.

Cheers,
-F