Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: SIGSEGV signal on Darwin OS X (Intel) when using version matching (nmap 4.01)

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 00:27:32 -0800

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 08:26:41PM -0800, Kurt Grutzmacher wrote:

Easy fix is to compile libpcre outside of nmap with utf8 support and
then build nmap against that library instead. Not entirely sure why
utf8 is required, just that it's the only way to get pcre to
function. I used darwinport's pcre and it works great.

For you it works when you use a recompiled (w/UTF-8 support) libpcre.
For Kelly it works when he gives the debugging (-g) flag to the
compiler.  In both cases, I think memory is just being rearranged such
that the problem doesn't manifest itself by crashing in the same way.
But the underlying problem is likely still there and it could start
crashing with different flags or with the next release.  So while
these workarounds may be useful for the moment in allowing you to use
version detection, we really need to track down the problem and find a
real solution.  Do we have any volunteers (with an OS X Intel box) to
give it a shot?

Cheers,
Fyodor