Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Why does nmap send multiple probes to the same port?

From: Andreas Ericsson <ae () op5 se>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 04:37:33 +0100

Casey Williams wrote:
I've noticed the same thing with -sS and -P0 which I did't think used connect().  I've
actually been wondering about this recently myself because I've been writing my own
lightweight port scanning engine using libnet to inject SYN probes.  I've noticed that if I
loop over the range of IP addresses and immediately send the probe, I won't always get a
reply from hosts that I know should have replied.  However, if I sleep() for 1 millisecond
between probe sends, it *will* send  the reply.  However, this 1 ms sleep() can add up over
many hosts/ports, and I can't seem to sleep() for a shorter period of time, (even
nanosleep() doesn't seem to work for me).

On Linux the nanosleep call is based on the kernel timer, so that means
a maximum resolution of 1HZ/s (10 ms for Linux < 2.6.9).

***pure conjecture ahead***

So I started wondering how nmap was able to be so reliable and yet SO fast (kudos!).  Then I
realized that it may be sending these "retry" probes to hosts that it doesn't know the
status of and that it didn't get a reply from.

I've been reading the nmap source and stepping through it, but I haven't verified that this
is correct.  Am I on the right track?  If not, would this tactic be unrecommended?

You're missing the point a bit. The error messages means that nmap
didn't send those probes. It tried to, but the system told it there was
already a connection attempt in progress.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson () op5 se