Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Scan 3 thousand host consume severals hour

From: "Ricardo A. Reis" <ricardo_bsd () yahoo com br>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:13:52 -0200

Hi Sina,

A few comments:

You mentioned 3000 machines, yet you are scanning a range of 65536 machines
because you are scanning an entire class B network

Yes, you this correct

The UNIFESP network topology exist many network segment's with subnet
mask /24, but doesn't a  continuum host's, this a problem caused by
sub-net delegation.
For samples is 172.16.[1-3,150-163].XXX, in the past i used a list
provide per ettercap using arp-request function but this cause a problem
with arp tables in old cabletron switches and cisco routers.

Also, you are doing a TCP scan and a UDP scan. You might want to simply do a
syn scan, as that is faster. The TCP scan will take forever and a day
unfortunately ... This is no fault of nmap, but it is due to the fact that
it has to do a three way handshake, and also remember that the firewalls
aren't helping things any, *smile*.

You this correct again,

i always use -sS with no windows hosts

I would recommend that you find a better way of narrowing down the machines
you have. For example, can you simply do a list scan of the machines on your
network and then grep/awk for the appropriate entries to place into a hosts
file which you can pass into nmap with -iL ...

 I use also -P0 per XP firewall block icmp, with this scan is more
slowly.
 I used -iL before fyodor announce the nmap lite version, the old nmap
use +/- 280 MB  this is a problem for central host monitor and per this
i resolved scan a severals class B.

If you would like some advice on how to do this, or if maybe I misunderstood
something, please let me know how I can help.

Thanks again, i test again with -sS and nmap lite version now using
subnets.

Ricardo A. Reis
UNIFESP
Unix and Network Admin