Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: broken CRC

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 22:28:30 -0800

Hi Ed3f,

I remember reading your paper and enjoying it. It's a very clever technique.

I read in their changelog that time OpenBSD's pf addressed the issue a
couple releases ago but haven't heard anything about other systems. Have
any other firewalls done anything about it?

One potential problem with adding a global CRC option is that nmap doesn't use raw
sockets everywhere. For instance, FTP bounce scans, anything that uses
nsock (version detection, for example), etc. It might not always be obvious
what you can expect to use broken CRC or not.

I think it's a really cool concept though and I'd love nmap to be able to
make use of it. I think another TCP scan type alongside -sA (ACK scan -
also useful for firewall mapping) would be nice.

I'm not sure if it should be a goal for 4.00 or not - we're almost
running out of version numbers. :)

Doug Hoyte
(working on DNS performance right now)