Nmap Development mailing list archives

Compiling Nmap on Visual C++ 2005 Express

From: kx <kxmail () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:36:20 -0500

I was curious if anyone had successfully compiled Nmap on Visual C++
2005 Express using the Platform SDK. I am a Visual Studios novice, but
I thought if we could get Nmap compiling in Express, it would open up
Windows development to a lot of hobbyist programmers like myself, who
are just too cheap to buy the full version.

So far I have:
Followed the SDK instructions for Express:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/visualc/usingpsdk/default.aspx

Imported nmap.sln cleanly.

Added $(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\Include\mfc to the Options -> VC++
Directories -> Include files so it could find afxres.h for nmap.rc

Added /D "_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE" to each project to remove the
annoying errors.

All 5 projects compile cleanly, but then at link, I get the following error:

Linking...
LIBCMT.lib(strnicmp.obj) : error LNK2005: __strnicmp already defined
in nbase.lib(strcasecmp.obj)
.\Release/nmap.exe : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined
symbols found

I believe this is a link order error, and most likely requires a
trivial fix, but this is where my lack of experience fails me.

Any suggestions would appreciated.

Cheers,
  kx