Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 3.84ALPHA1: Call For Testers

From: Luke Triantafyllidis <triple () aeoth net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:07:18 +1000

Fyodor wrote:

I am particularly interested in Windows testing, so I'm including
binaries for that platform.  The way packets are sent and received has
been changed dramatically.  The new Win32 raw ethernet subsystem
should be much faster than the previous code, and get's around
Microsoft's silly raw IP socket ban.  BEFORE RUNNING THIS CODE ON
WINDOWS, INSTALL THE JUST-RELEASED WINPCAP 3.1 FROM WWW.WINPCAP.ORG.

I have been trying to test the new nmap 3.84 alpha release with WinPcap
3.1 on my Windows XP Pro SP2 box but receive the following error with
pretty much all scan types that I attempt:

---- snip ----
C:\nmap-3.84ALPHA1>nmap -F -A -T4 insecure.org

Starting nmap 3.84ALPHA1 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2005-08-11
18:42 AUS Eastern Standard Time
pcap_open_live: Error opening adapter: The system cannot find the device
specified. (20)
There are several possible reasons for this, depending on your operating
system:

QUITTING!

I have tried reinstalling WinPcap, but without any indepth knowledge of
the WinPcap library and low level TCP/IP and with only intermediate C++
skills, I'm not sure how to debug and fix a problem like this.

Luke