Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: -P0 still attempts ARP scan

From: William MacKay <foobaz () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:41:38 -0400

On Sep 13, 2005, at 12:24 PM, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:

William MacKay wrote:

I have looked through the source, but i can't figure out why Nmap is
doing an ARP ping scan when i give it -P0. Is this a bug? I'm pasting
a log to demonstrate the problem. The -p80 option isn't necessary,
but makes the log a lot shorter:

It seems it is default behaviour when the destination IP is in the
range of one of your nics.

This is bad, because --spoof_mac seems to screw up the ARP ping scan,
so it refuses to scan even with -P0. Here's another log demonstrating
that:

12:40 foobaz@port200:~]% sudo nmap -P0 --spoof_mac 0 10.171.32.1

Starting nmap 3.93 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2005-09-13
12:40 EDT
Spoofing MAC address 79:00:33:90:0F:54 (No registered vendor)
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping
probes, try -P0
Nmap finished: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.641 seconds
12:40 foobaz@port200:~]%