Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap 3.91 windows-version -> problem -> Failed to determine dst MAC address for target

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 14:53:35 -0700

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 08:30:19PM +0200, no_frog wrote:

i work with winxp sp1 and have installed today nmap 3.91 and get
following msg back ->  nexthost: Failed to determine dst MAC address for
target x.x.x.x QUITTING! <-

i have try serval ip's - always the same error - i connect to the
internet via ppp (gprs/umts modem card)

I'm afraid that Nmap doesn't fully support PPP on Windows anymore
thanks to @#$!@ Microsoft breaking raw sockets.  HOWEVER, Nmap should
definitely give a better error message that badmouths Microsoft and
gives pointers to options that should still work.

This is a great chance to use the new --iflist debugging option in
Nmap 3.91!  Would you please run 'nmap --iflist' and send me the
output?  That will help me determine how your device is detected so
that Nmap can better recognize it.

Also, does the scan "nmap -P0 -sT -d -T4 scanme.nmap.org" work for you?
If not, please send me the output.

Thanks,
Fyodor