Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap performance -> timeout issue

From: MadHat <madhat () unspecific com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:44:34 -0500

On Apr 13, 2005, at 1:29 PM, Maarten Hartsuijker wrote:
I'm currently installing an audit environment that should periodically
audit several subnets. I've been trying to tune nmap for the initial
sweep
of the subnets in order to bring the time-to-completion down.

One point missing...  version of nmap?  I ran into a problem with some
of the recently older versions.  Fyodor said he was trying to make nmap
more accurate, but made it slow down a lot.  This was "fixed" in more
recent versions (I know 3.8x it is fixed).  I also found that nmap
would stall some times on a single host, which is why I originally
wrote my nmap wrapper to run X number of nmap processes in parallel.  I
think at last count I was scanning more than 180K IPs in less than 16
hours, but I had ICMP enabled for all my hosts to/from my monitoring
host.