Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug or Feature? (Warning: Servicescan failed to fill info_template...)

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:14:55 -0700

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 10:10:05AM -0700, Nathan wrote:
I have a script that runs nmap from my RedHat 8.0 server against a
bunch of my client's machines and then parses the results.  Here's the
command I use:

./nmap -sT -sV -O -p 1-65535 -oX -  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

The problem is that one of the scans keeps throwing the following
warnings out to stderr, causing my script to fail:

Warning: Servicescan failed to fill info_template (subjectlen: 1448).
Too long? Match string was line 1132: v/Apache httpd/$1/$2
Warning: Servicescan failed to fill info_template (subjectlen: 2583).
Too long? Match string was line 1132: v/Apache httpd/$1/$2

Nmap has a rather short limit for how much "extrainfo" it allows.  The
Apache server probably had a bunch of modules and such that caused
Nmap to exceed the limit.  Maybe Nmap should just quietly truncate.
But for now it prints the warning above and skips the extrainfo
field.  One option is to remove the $2 on the template above
(nmap-service-probes line 1132).  Or just ignore that particular
error.  Or pipe Nmap to "grep -v info_tempate".

Cheers,
-F

----- End forwarded message -----