Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: What languages/toolkit to use for the new GUI?

From: Andreas Ericsson <ae () op5 se>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:38:19 +0200

Ray C wrote:
I recommend to use wxWidgets for the GUI toolkit.  It is cross platform,
and the user can choose which underlying GUI he/she wants.  GTK, GTK2, etc.

This is the first day in a very long time that I've gotten more mail on
a single subject than the total amount of spam and it seems to prove the
old saying "Opinions are like assholes; Everybody's got one".

Who (really) cares what language is used? Those willing to pick up the
torch when the summer of code is over should report their interest to
Fyodor (or the list, by all means) and then help coordinate the efforts
with the student(s) who will actually do the work. Since there's no way
on earth the rest of us are going to agree on anything at all anyways we
can just as well keep our assholes... sorry, opinions... to ourselves.

And remember; No money is paid to the student unless the project can be
said to have reached a certain completeness at the end of summer. Under
those circumstances I think it's a fairly safe bet that the student
doing the work will pick whatever language he/she knows best.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson () op5 se
Lead Developer