Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: rpc.unknown

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:06:14 -0800

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 12:10:56PM -0000, Martin O'Neal wrote:

Just a thought; the rpc scanner currently doesn't fill in the additional
xml fields for a port (rpcnum, proto) if it doesn't recognise the rpc
service. The port is simply reported as the rpc.unknown type, without
any more information.

How simple would it be to rework this so that the full supporting detail
is always included?

Nmap doesn't know the supporting details in that case.  It only tests
for RPC numbers in its nmap-rpc file.  If you know of RPC services
that aren't listed there, send them to me and I'll add them to
nmap-rpc so that Nmap can detect them.

The latest version of nmap-rpc is always at
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/data/nmap-rpc

Cheers,
-F