Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: All Ports filtered, no OS identify

From: Ron <iago () valhallalegends com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:57:02 -0600

ooh you know the acronym for "personal firewall", you're special. That remark sounded really belittling, wasn't very nice.

In any case, if you put a firewall or port filter on a personal computer such that nobody from the outside can connect on any ports, then you lock that computer in a room and post a guard at the door, then the computer is safe. If somebody is using it locally, they might get a virus or trojan or screw up the firewall. If somebody is using it remotely, then they must have at least one port open through the firewall, which could be a potential risk.

The point is, if you filter all the ports and don't allow physical access, then yes, it's safe provided the firewall doesn't have any vulnerabilities.
dednj cjcb ekdj wrote:

O.k.

Thx for the answers.

But it is strange that Symantec PFW gives you so much security that you even can´t break in from outside... (if you even know which pfw it is)
mgrd <subscriptions () gerdau freeshell org> wrote:
dednj cjcb ekdj wrote:
When I try nmap -sS -P0 192.168.1.100 , I get the response all ports are filtered.

The same result with -sW , or with -O I ´ve installed on 192.168.1.100 a PFW.
But how can I get any information (OS, Service Pack) out, if even do not get any answer from the machine? Is there any
trick or do I have forgotten something?

nmap needs at least both one open and closed port for OS detection.