Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NMAP : Different interpretation of "filtered" ports depending on -sS or -sT options. Bug ?

From: Martin Mačok <martin.macok () underground cz>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:20:14 +0100

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 12:49:52PM +0000, Richard Moore wrote:

Actually, the connect() scan could have problems in telling the
difference between filtered and closed ports because when ICMP
DU/PU is received then connect() returns ECONNREFUSED (just like
when RST is received).

That may be platform dependent, certainly on linux protocol
unreachable etc. are handled fine by connect() and have their own
errnos (which nmap uses correctly).

Really? Which errno is raised on your system when receiving ICMP DU
Port Unreachable (this is what iptables -j REJECT generates)?

On my Linux kernel 2.4.22-37mdk connect() raises ECONNREFUSED both
when RST or ICMP DU Port Unreachable is received. Quick look at
net/ipv4/icmp.c (and tcp_ipv4.c) confirms it. I have not tested it on
other systems, though...

Martin Mačok
ICT Security Consultant