Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Arp pinging

From: "Chris the Elder" <chippo () cequrux com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:57:27 +0200

Oops.  I'm also obviously a newbie with mailers and mail formatting.

What my email should have looked like is:

I was hoping that I could find a section in the nmap man page related to
pinging that said something like:

-Q  Do arp pinging.  Nmap arps for an ethernet address for a specific
    IP address, to decide whether to scan that address.  Note, this
    pinging will only work on broadcast networks.

Is it possible to get nmap to do this currently?  Is there maybe a reason
that this is undesirable or unfeasible or of not much use to anyone?

The reason that I fanasized about such an option, is that on this network,
people run personal firewalls, which block icmp.  They also have disparate
enough uses, that there isn't a small number of TCP ports that I could use
for TCP pinging to find the up machines.

Cheers,
chippo