Nmap Development mailing list archives

OT: Desktop Firewalls WAS: Nmap says hosts unreachable

From: "Craig Humphrey" <Craig.Humphrey () chapmantripp com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 09:15:55 +1300

Hmmm.. Funny that...  And just how do you improve the security on say, a
laptop that uses WiFi, Dial-up and Ethernet connections?  Pretty hard to
squeeze a hardware based firewall in there...

And isn't it interesting that the Linux community has headed down the
same path, since most recent distro's of Linux contain some form of
"software" firewall (ipchains, iptables, etc).

OK, so the Windoze community are often bleating, but that's more to do
with their lack of technical knowledge, than the failings of software
firewalls.

Then again, hardware firewalls tend to have all the same failings as
software ones, except for one thing, the underlying "OS" tends to be
known quantity to the vendor (the likes of CheckPoint often being the
exception, but Oh, that would make it a software firewall... :)

At least if Windoze users are installing firewalls (software or
otherwise), that's got to put things in a slightly better light than
before.

Oh and I don't include the Windows Internet Connection Firewall in any
of the above statements.  A "firewall" that doesn't account for outbound
and allows any M$ application to do whatever it likes (in terms of
opening ports) without telling the user, isn't a firewall at all.

</rant>

Later'ish
Craig