Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Inconsistency in nmap XML output

From: "Joshua T. Corbin" <jcorbin () linuxmail org>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:11:55 -0500

On Wed November 10 2004 02:57, Dual Mobius wrote "Re: Inconsistency in nmap
XML output":
I would also like to see the option of including down hosts in the XML
output when -v is used.
That would be a pain in my opinion; perhaps it should be a separate command
line option *if* it has to be done at all. I for one, don't see how it makes
the XML inconsistent in any way.

(I've previously had to do several nasty hacks in analysis programs to
figure out what was reported down vs. not-scanned by taking the address
ranges in the <nmaprun> tag and subtracting out the "up" results in the rest
of the file).
How is that a dirty hack, sounds like rather simple math to me. If you need
the not scanned, you need to look at <nmaprun> anyhow, unless you are
suggesting that Fyodor implement a --noisy-xml-output option that makes it
report not-scanned hosts as well, just so your interpreted-language program
can be a little more lazy.

I agree with Fyodor's suggestion that if this is added, it should only be
when the -v option is used.
If it's added, it should be a separate option, or maybe turned on be -vvv not
just -v. And that's a big if, I for one think it would be silly to waste time
adding clutter to the XML output.

--
Regards,
Joshua T. Corbin <jcorbin () linuxmail org>