Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Performance Tuning NMAP

From: Okan Demirmen <okan () demirmen com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:34:40 -0500

On Fri 2004.12.17 at 10:18 -0600, Bill Petersen wrote:
Hello,
A project I am working on will require me to scan over 1 million IPs
monthly (yes, all owned by my company). I have acquired a dual Xeon 3GHz
system with 4GB of RAM for the job.  I plan to turn on -sV and -O to get
version and OS information in addition to 'is the machine up' and
general port information. It will be running Fedora Core 3.

My questions are:
1. How would you tune this system for the task?
2. What options would you turn on / off at compile time?
3. How would you tune nmap at run time for the task?

I'm not going to comment on the OS tuning or compile time flags/options
for nmap - in fact, I may just leave nmap as it is, for I don't
believe that is your bottleneck.

If I were you, I'd carefully think about what you want out the scan
reports. Asking to scan that may hosts may give you stale information
once it is complete - though I probably have different expectations
out of my scans - my scans trigger other "things".

I've found that I am able to manage nmap processes to do multiple
scans from multiple sources and report back into one location, much
better than letting nmap scan the block(s) for you - similar to
what you have done, but distributing the scanning engine.

When you are doing OS idents, think about limiting the probed ports
- I've been able to drop my OS fingerprint times significantly,
especially while traversing firewalls. I've never run wide scoping
version scanning on our networks, so I can't comment there.

That's all off the top of my head...good luck.

Okan

In the past, threads within nmap have not helped me much.  I have
actually used a perl script to help me maximize the throughput by
running up to 190 concurrent nmaps (on a similarly configured machine).
I'd like to get away from that and have nmap take over the task.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Bill