Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap ICMP/TCP Ping Insubordination

From: Noam Rathaus <noamr () beyondsecurity com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:44:27 +0300

On Monday 07 June 2004 12:28, Martin Mačok wrote:
On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:40:59AM +0300, Noam Rathaus wrote:
I noticed a very inconsitent (with the man file) behavior of Nmap,
I run two command line:
1) ./nmap-3.50/nmap -PT80 -sP -d -n www.microsoft.com
(under the root user)
2) /nmap-3.50/nmap -PT80 -sP -d -n www.microsoft.com
(under the non-root user)

Both should do the same, TCP Ping the host www.microsoft.com,

Option -PT does not do the same for root and non root users. From the
man page, option -PT: "... spew out TCP ACK packets ... For non root
users, we use connect()".

Sniff both (1) and (2) with tcpdump/ethereal and see the
conversations.

Martin Mačok
IT Security Consultant

Hi,

You are right, it used to be different (the man file I read before).

Any chance I can force connect() port ping instead of ACK (which is not quite
the same as connect())?

--
Thanks
Noam Rathaus