Nmap Development mailing list archives

UDP port scans

From: "David G. Cheney" <dgc () rocketfiber com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:48:47 -0700

I've noticed that:
1) ICMP Port Unreachable Scanning seems to still be state of the art for UDP port scans. 2) nmap uses this method, along with some rate limiting to get around the now common icmp rate limiting of many network stacks. 3) UDP scanning of my linux system (2.6.x) with nmap -sU -F produces a couple thousand open ports (and about 4 closed ones).

no, there is only one udp port open on my machine, and I've tried tweaking the icmp rate limiting parameters around to no effect.

So I guess my question is: has anyone got a better idea as to how to do a UDP port scan? I'm actually considering that service scanning might do it, though it requires that whatever is running conforms to some (published or not) standard behavior.

Perhaps there is a survey somewhere of UDP services and the minimum input that they will respond to?

--dgc