Nmap Development mailing list archives

Possible solution to Windows/nmapwin "host seems down" problem

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:12:12 -0700

----- Forwarded message from Dave Smith <parisbarman () hotmail com> -----

Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:57:14 +0000
From: "Dave Smith" <parisbarman () hotmail com>
To: fyodor () insecure org
Subject: nmapwin

I have seen a lot of questions that have gone unanswered from people using
an xp system that people receive a message saying:
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try
-P0

I received this message too and my solution was to uninstall the winpcap 3.0
drivers and install the 2.4 version that was provided and everything worked.
I then tried the latest 3.0 drivers from winpcap and they still don't work
so I went back to the 2.4. Since there is no way to really "post" to a news
group and I don't want to subscribe, could you please pass this info. on as
a possible solution?