Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NMAP shows local machine as down

From: micro dev <microdev1 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:54:27 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks kevin.
Where can I find that doc. Please give me the pointer to that doc.
But why NMAP can scan the local IP address if it is the only IP  in the request.
I do not give "localhost" string to poll. I use actual IP address of my machine to poll my local machine.
If it is issue of WinPcap, then NMAP should not be able to poll local IP at all.

It's only when my IP address is part of the range, it fails.

And I tried to dig more ..
My IP address is 10.25.125.203.
I give this request to NMAP.

nmap -sS -PT -PI -O -d -vv -T 3 10.25.125.201-205

10.25.125.203 always comes as DOWN.
It works for other IP addresses in the range.

I tried to snoop the packets thru Ethereal. And what I deduce that I always see this stuff.
Source - 10.25.125.203
Destination - 11.25.125.203
Protocol - ICMP
Info - Echo (ping) reply

Now I don't know from where 11.25.125.203 coming into IP packet destination address.

Any answers ?

~Kevin_Davis³ <kevin.davis () mindless com> wrote:
According to the docs, the windows version of Nmap can't scan the localhost
and it is reported this is because of a WinPcap issue.

~Kevin Davis³

What possibly could go wrong?