Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Speeding up single ports scans over large networks

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:29:45 -0700

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 12:35:51AM +0100, testic wrote:
I have recently been wanting to scan largest networks to discover if a
single port is open. I have found that this seems to be exceedingly
slow,

I'm not sure if it is documented, but Nmap has a special turbo mode to
do this quickly.  Do:

nmap -PS[portno] -sS[portno] -T4 -n [network addresses]

Where 'portno' is the port you wish to scan.  In this case, the 'ping
scan' is sending a SYN to the port anyway, and so Nmap is smart enough
to skip the SYN scan because it already has the results from the ping
scan.

Cheers,
-F