Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Identifying BeOS DR9?

From: Edhel <edhel () bigfoot com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:41:51 -0400

Bo Cato wrote:
Those are very odd results. It's appears the open ports are being
discovered as expected. I would suspect a problem with nmap getting
the needed response from a closed port (ie a rst packet or a rare
syn|ack). I'm guessing either nmap is not processing the reset packet
correctly for a closed port (possibly a compile problem),

I compiled very plainly, just ./configure, make, and make install. This
message came out of stderr a few times, though:

configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to bug-autoconf () gnu org. ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##

Perhaps this is related to my problem? My FreeBSD is version 4.7. The
same thing happens when I compile it in NetBSD 1.6.

the machine
being scanned has a problem with it's tcp/ip stack for closed ports,

I find this to be a distinct possibility: BeOS always had a notoriously
inefficient TCP/IP stack, so I think it stands to reason that this
"Preview Release" may have a TCP/IP stack that's actually so broken that
it's out-of-spec.

As an experiment, I tried to telnet from my FreeBSD box to some random
closed port on my BeOS DR9 box. The connection timed out. When I tried
to telnet from my FreeBSD box to a random closed port on itself, I got
"connection refused". I then rebooted the Mac into BeOS 5.0.3 and
telnetted to a closed port on it again; I got "connection refused". Nmap
also seems confused when scanning BeOS 5.0.3. I suppose I should install
BeOS 5.0.3 on my Athlon PC to make sure the PPC versions aren't wacky.

or the machine you are running nmap on (freebsd?) is having a tcp/ip
stack problem. Or.. I could be completely off on all accounts.

You may want to post this back to the list again (instead of just to
me)

Whoops! I thought that's where I sent it to :)

and possibly run tcpdump while scanning "tcpdump -nn -vvv -s 0 -w
nmap_dump".

Also nmap has options for packet tracing.

The confusing thing to me is that nmap is displaying open ports but
yet states the test condition is not ideal. If nmap is able to
determine at least 1 open port the condition is supposed to be "good".

I think it's an utter lack of properly closed ports that's confusing
nmap :-/

[spatchtower:root] ~ > strings /usr/local/bin/nmap | grep "1 closed"
Warning:  OS detection will be MUCH less reliable because we did not find
at least 1 open and 1 closed TCP port

Do you have this problem when scanning any other OS beside BeOS with
nmap 3.30 from the same freebsd box?

I scanned my NetBSD box, and re-scanned my Mac after I rebooted it into
MacOS 9. Both of these scans went fine. The only thing that seemed odd to
me is the scans (when done with -vv -O) always say "OS Fingerprint: (None)"
just after saying "OS Details: Apple Mac OS 9.04 or HP-UX B.11.00" or
"OS details: NetBSD 1.3I through 1.6"

Hello Edhel,