Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 3.21CSW Unofficial Release

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 18:36:30 -0700

I don't have time to do an official Nmap release before heading to
Canada tomorrow, but I stuck an unofficial "CanSecWest" release up at:

http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/?M=D

The changes follow:

o I added UDP-based "ping" scanning.  The -PU option can take an
  optional portlist like the TCP "ping" options (-PS, -PA), but it sends
  a UDP packet to the targets and expects hosts that are up to reply
  with a port unreachable (or possibly a UDP response if the port is
  open).  This one is likely to work best against closed ports, since
  many open ports don't respond to empty requests.

o Fixed an "assertion failure" which would cause Nmap to exit when you
  specify a --max_rtt_timeout below 3000.  Thanks to Tammy Rathbun
  (rathbun2 () llnl gov) and Jan Roger Wilkens (jrw () proseq net) for
  reporting this.

o Fixed a GCC dependency reported by Ayamura Kikuchi (ayamura () keio net)

o Fixed a divide by zero error caused when nonroot users (on UNIX)
  explicitly request ICMP pings (which require root privileges).  Now it
  prints a warning and uses the normal nonroot TCP connect() ping.
  Jaroslav Sladek (jup () matfyz cz) found the bug and provided the patch.

o Changed the wording of NmapFE Gnome entries to better-comply with
  Gnome's Human Interface Guidelines (HIG).  Suggested by Axel Krauth
  (krauth () fmi uni-passau de)

o Made Nmap more tolerant of corrupt nmap-services and nmap-protocols
  files thanks to report & patch sent by Phix (phix () hush com)

o Added some more port numbers sent in by Seth Master
  (smaster () stanford edu).  He has been a frequent nmap-services
  contributor in the last couple months.

o Removed superfluous "addport" line in the XML output (patch from Max
  Schubert (nmap () webwizarddesign com)).

o Fixed an assertion failure crash related to combining port 0 scans
  and OS scan.  Thanks to A.Jones () mvv de for reporting this.

Enjoy!
-Fyodor