Nmap Development mailing list archives

Stats and ICMP patch

From: "Ian Peters" <ian () ianpeters net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 05:57:31 -0400

Hi all,

I've been tracking nmap for a while now with a combination of several
patches. When Syra sent the statistics patch for nmap3.28 a short while
ago I decided maybe it's time to see if anyone else wants to make use of
it, so it's included here.

Basically this patch is a combination of....
- Ian Vitek's original patch, slightly modified. It handles -sR a little
better, and has a little more info. I think it also fixed a problem
where the ETS sometimes went negative
- Guillaume Valadon's (I think) patch to give a little more info about
'filtered' ports - namely by telling you the ICMP message nmap
received. I've added some support for other logging types for this info,
as IIRC the original only supported human-readable.
- I've included a --shutdown option. This means that in the rare event
you do a -sT scan, shutdown() is called before close(). The reason for
this is that on some manky network stacks, when doing heavy scans, boxes
sometimes fell over. I tracked this down to a memory leak in some stacks
where if a FIN isn't received before a RST, a short-term memory leak
occurs. When doing a heavy scan, this aggregates really quickly, with
the obvious result.
- When doing loads of big scans that I wanted to grep through I needed
non-summarised output. Therefore, I added a --fulloutput option, which
stops nmap from summarising.

It's been tested as I've patched, but only on Linux, and I've only just
patched to 3.28, but it should be okay. Any problems etc, please drop me
a line - I hope it's some use.

All the changes should be inside #ifdef WITH_STATS  sections, so you
can patch and then compile/recompile to see if any problems you
encounter are due to my code. Also makes the diff easier to debug.

Cheers,

Ian