Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: request for new UDP port state [was: Nmap 3.20 Released!]]

From: R Andersson <listbox () pole-position org>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 23:47:13 +0100

Florin Andrei wrote:
I'm still missing an option to actually tell me whether an UDP port has
sent back a reply, or it's completely unresponsive. I guess i'm having
an issue with it because (quote from "man nmap"):

This is something I thought a lot about too, without finding the canonical solution. I have a couple of experimental patches, some submitted to this list, that deals with this in different ways. One displays a text before the normal port table, saying what "open", "closed" etc. mean in this particular scan (i.e. the text varies with the scan type(s) used). Another focuses on ICMP, telling the user exactly what ICMP was received, and who sent it (if it was an intermediate router). Another small patch adds a "Note: no ICMP unreachables seen from the host." if that is the case. That little piece of info is of great value when evaluating the results.

Possible solution:

I believe a good solution to this would be the creation of a new port
state, at least for UDP. Quoting from the man page:

The state is either ?open?, ?filtered?, or ?unfiltered?.

I believe a new state should be created, named 'no response' or
something like that. The behaviour for UDP scans should be like this

There are other unclear mappings between states and what was really received or not, when using the more obscure TCP scan types. In some cases you simply can't translate the response (or lack of response) to a state unless you know what OS the target runs. This collides with the fact that nmap is state-oriented - not only in its output but through the entire program. I have no idea why, possibly "historic reasons". I played with the idea of making nmap fully "response-oriented" but I'm not sure this is in nmap's scope. Anyway, that would make nmap just care about responses until it's time to present the results. Only then the responses would be translated to states (with or without hints about guessing), or optionally the responses could be shown as-is, or whatever. Hey, we could even tailor the response-to-state translation to what result an OS detection gave us! 8^)

/R