Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: extra features for nmap

From: Haroon Meer <haroon () sensepost com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:45:54 +0200 (SAST)

hi.

try amap.
www.thehackerschoice.com

Haroon Meer                                                         MH
SensePost Information Security                          +27 83786 6637
PGP : http://www.sensepost.com/pgp/haroon.txt     haroon () sensepost com

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, testic wrote:

I hope I'm sending this to the correct address...

I was scanning a company network the other day (with their permission of course) and I thought I'd discovered a lot
of unusual services running on their machines. Later, when I asked their admin about this I was told that they aren't
unusual services at all, merely common services running on non-standard ports. Which gave me the idea.

If a database similar to the os-fingerprints database were started, containing responses of known programs, then one
could probe a port already known to be 'open' to discover what program is actually running on that port.

It may well be that such a thing exists, if it does then I don't know about it. But certainly I would find such a
thing extremely useful, as merely scanning for open ports on a host is only half the story...

What are everyone elses thoughts?