Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Finding real host in Nmap -D Scans

From: H D Moore <hdm () digitaloffense net>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 00:02:34 -0600

Have to disagree with the "obsolete" statement. I ran an egress test from
my cable connection and found no less than 40 different class C networks
I could spoof packets from. While many of these networks were in the same
class B subnet, they could still be used to effective obsfucate the real
source of a port scan. Actually, using a related address makes tracing it
back even harder, since even TTL tricks and router logs won't help you.

It does narrow down your source to specific provider/geographic area, but
still doesn't provide you with a single address to report. An intelligent
attacker would spoof a few dozen scans first from firewalled systems
located at his own provider (ie. broadband routers that filter
everything) and only perform the "real" scan with a decoy scan, using the
scapegoat system as one of the sources. Then again, anyone who wants to
expend this level of effort could just use the IP ID trick and you would
never see a single packet from thier real address.

-HD