Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Patch/Feature req.: Multiple ports when doing raw tcp ping

From: R Anderson <listbox () pole-position org>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:19:33 +0100

Gabriel L. Somlo wrote:

I'm wondering if it may not be worth allowing for *several* tcp ports
to use when doing tcp pings.

I've whipped up a patch to 3.10ALPHA6 which implements this. The usage
would be something like this:

        nmap -sS -PT22,80,55555

When doing this as non-root via TCP connect, only the first specified
port (22) would be used. However, when doing it as root, raw tcp pings
would be sent to all ports, thus improving the chances of correctly
predicting whether any individual host is up or down.

Let me know what you guys think about this...

Thanks,

Gabriel

Yeah, I've had situations where this would have come handy.

All ports are pinged at once, right? We could add some stealth by first trying one port, then trying the next port for hosts that didn't answer, and so on. Or maybe that's overkill :-)