Nmap Development mailing list archives

[OT] Recreating nmap

From: Gary Stewart <gis () staffmail ed ac uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:12:24 +0000 (GMT)

First of, my apologies for joining this list only to start of by posting
an off topic discussion.

I am required to hold a debate as part of my course at university. The
debate I decided to go for is a discussion on the European Union
discussing the banning of such tools as nmap. Though I think such a
legislation would be foolish, hypothetically, assuming not only Europe but
the whole world followed suite my question would be:

Do you, as developers, think you would be able to recreate nmap or a
reduced version of it from memory?

Of course attempting to stop distribution of scanning programs won't be
easy and really it is going to harm system admins more than people who are
going to use it to break into systems, but that's really for my report to
address.

Thanks for any help,

Gary