Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap-dev-only release: Nmap 3.10ALPHA1

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 02:56:08 -0800

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 02:18:11PM -0500, William McVey wrote:

C) version of nmap die?  It seems odd to me that a project that had
conniptions on bringing in external libraries (libnet, libxml/libsax)
due to portability and bloat issues would go down the C++ route...

I admit that XML parser bloat worries me a bit, but I'm certainly not
ruling it out.  I just need to see more compelling benefits.  But
Libnet is excluded for different reasons.  The current Nmap packet
sending routines work fine for me.  And if I decide to go with an
external library, I prefer Dug Song's libdnet for technical reasons.
Plus, Schiffman continues to attack the Nmap project for unknown
reasons :(.  His latest salvo is LibSF, which is heavily based on Nmap
(in violation of the license), but you won't find any mention of Nmap
at http://www.packetfactory.net/projects/libsf/ !  After more than
three months of trying to resolve this privately, I got frustrated and
sent this a few minutes ago (I don't know if it will go through):