Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: PostgreSQL patch

From: "Max Schubert" <musitechman () earthlink net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 10:56:20 -6828

Forwarding this to the list ... Jean-Marc corrected my comment about SAX working
with streams ... thank you.

Yes, but a lot of C parser aren't free/open...
I know some, most known is Expat... But, to work, it have to get the =
whole file/string, even if it does a sax-based parsing...
take a look at the parser which is aprt of the gnome
project...http://xmlsoft.org/

just my 0.02 ;)

regards,

Jean-Marc LE TOUX - aka Peace

I know there are several free parsers for Java, perl has an expat wrapper + at least one
other that is all perl ... but I mistakenly thought they parsed the stream as it
happened and didn't check for well-formedness first by parsing the whole document ...
maybe there is a switch to turn the well-formedness check off .. I will check it out
with perl.

Slightly off-topic but related to the external API question :) ... the XML output
format is definitely the way to go with reading from nmap via a pipe as far as
stability is concerned ... but I really like being able to report events to whatever
API is used to wrap them in real-time ... as nmap scans can take a significant period
of time to finish.

Max