Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap win32 *glitch*

From: "David Crowder" <ltwally () runbox com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:59:52 -0500

under windows 2000, i cannot get nmap to actually scan anything.  all the tcp scans think the target isn't alive, and
icmp pings get no where as well.
when attempted with a tcp syn stealth (-sS flag) scan, the following message is reported:
"Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap )
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -P0
Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 60 seconds"

i have tried nmap v3.00 in both console and gui modes.  i've used both winpcap v2.3 & 3.0.  all combinations with the
same failure.

i have, however, achieved success with nmapNT (from www.eEye.com) and the version of winpcap that is bundled with it.
i had "upgraded" after hearing that newer versions were even faster... however, the win32 version of v3.00 seems to be
broken.

it's no big deal.. i can always use nmap on my freebsd box... but if you could get around to patching up the windoze
version i'd greatly appreciate it.  if there is any more info you require of me, feel free to drop me an email.

thanks,
david crowder