Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap-dev-only release: Nmap 3.10ALPHA1

From: William McVey <wam () cisco com>
Date: 03 Sep 2002 09:49:40 -0500

On Sat, 2002-08-31 at 23:49, Fyodor wrote:
I can't believe I'm being accused of bloat by one of the biggest Nmap
XML output proponents :).

For the record, I did not accuse nmap of getting bloated. I pointed out
that other enhancements have been rejected because of bloat concerns and
I found it odd that the same project that was so concerned about bloat
would go down the C++ route (a language noted for it's own bloated
syntax, as evidenced by the list of C++ features you aren't planning on
using).  Personally, I don't mind adding some "bloat" for increased
functionality.

My main grief with nmap as C++ is that it now depends on C++ being used
for other projects which either link against its object files.  Well,
that and the fact that I just don't like the C++ language.  :-)

  -- William