Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: 'sendto' error in OSX 10.1.5

From: Neko <neko () skebo ac>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:16:26 +0200

On Wednesday, August 7, 2002, at 07:06 AM, Carl Holmberg wrote:

I had been working with Nmap 2.54BETA30 on the command line since installing OSX 10.0.x last year without any known issues. Shortly after upgrading to 10.1.5 and adding the last few security patches, Nmap started returning "permission denied" errors from calls to 'connect' and 'sendto'. I compiled and installed Nmap 3.00, but got the same results. Ditto when logged in as root. I haven't seen mention of anyone seeing this boo-boo on Google or the list.

<snip>

Don't know if this is relevant, but, nmap 3.00 worked fine for me in 10.1.5, and in 10.2
Check your ipfw rules, that is the only problem i've had.
ipfw -a list

[18:12][nekochan@sliver.~]% uname -a
Darwin hostname 6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 6.0: Sat Jul 27 13:18:52 PDT 2002; root:xnu/xnu-344.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc
[18:12][nekochan@sliver.~]% sudo nmap -sS myothermachine

Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on myothermachine (<ip>):
(The 1592 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
25/tcp     open        smtp
80/tcp     open        http
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
427/tcp    open        svrloc
548/tcp    open        afpovertcp
1017/tcp   open        unknown
2049/tcp   open        nfs
3306/tcp   open        mysql

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 23 seconds